We never have to deal with the life-or-death dilemmas of a bomb squad, everyday situations such as job interviews, public speaking, and family emergencies, can be every bit as stressful if we are not accustomed to dealing with them.
Over the years though we have learnt to deal with the stress originating from such conditions. There are however new situations which still manage to put us off our guard and make us temperamental. These situations could happen anywhere; here I am listing them with particular reference to everyday life in New Delhi.
- You miss a shaded parking lot on a peak summer day in Delhi by few seconds when you were there before and reversing your car and someone else beats you to it.
- You are already running late for a movie and you stop by to withdraw cash from ATM and the person in front of you uses 3 different cards to draw cash and counts everything before leaving. Somehow I have never understood why some people count cash in front of a machine. If the cash is short or a currency note is torn; can you give it back to the machine and say “Hey, please give me more or exchange this note.”
- You are waiting for a long time in a queue to buy movie tickets for a latest blockbuster first day first show and as your turn comes; all tickets are sold out.
- You are the host of a party and no one has arrived yet and it is already half an hour in to invite time and you start calling people and they reply “I am on my way. Just 5 minutes”; when in reality they haven’t even started dressing up for the party.
- You have an expensive and rare merchandise to sell and you have advertised for it in the newspapers. You pick up every call with great anticipation and almost all these calls are from property dealers selling you flat in Greater Noida extension or from banks offering you personal loans.
- You have an unexplained charge of your bank statements. You call up the call center and after 10 minutes of punching several numbers as asked by the automated voice; finally you connect to a customer service executive and the call terminates inexplicably.
- You are forever waiting for a reprieve from the stone grinding noise from the construction next doors and finally it stops only to see that the house next to it is getting pulled down to construct a new building.
- You are stuck on a BRT traffic jam and after few RED – GREEN – RED traffic light cycles; it is finally your turn to cross and an ambulance suddenly cuts you to move ahead of you and crosses the light and by the time you arrive at a traffic intersection; the traffic light is red again.